THE UNHOLY IN THE HOLYLAND SERIES: MANILA-DUBAI-CAIRO, Part 1


THE UNHOLY IN THE HOLYLAND SERIES:
MANILA-DUBAI-CAIRO
Unforgettable Moments That Happened On the Way to Cairo
Part I
By Ysabel Villaflor
Videos captured by: Bernadette Villaflor

HOW I ENDED UP IN THE HOLYLAND
“ Bakit di ka na lang sumama sa amin?” (“Why don’t you just go with us?”) my Kuya Juvie asked jokingly when I told him that all my trips for the summer of 2009 were cancelled.

“Go with you to Holyland?” I asked myself. Say what??

Normally, when someone asks me this question, I would jump at the opportunity without thinking. I would research endlessly of the possible places to go and food to eat, and be my overzealous self for any trip. But in this case, I found myself hesitating – which NEVER happens when a trip is concerned. Why?

Packing with my Ziplocs and getting the clothing restrictions right
I would not consider myself a very religious person but I do believe in my faith. Honestly, I had other things in mind to do for that particular summer. When I found out that we were having mass AND waking up early for almost every day on the trip made me seriously consider if I was going to make it. The apprehension that I had was probably the fact that I wasn’t at all emotionally prepared for what was going to happen and that I had less than 12 days to get EVERYTHING done was proving to be a big consideration.

It was a miracle that it all worked out. From plane tickets, visas, hotel arrangements, clothing needed for the trip- (there were clothing restrictions) travel adaptors-(all three countries have different electrical sockets), it was all taken cared of by Journeys of Faith. (“Journeys”, a group that takes care of catholic pilgrimages and cruises). And just like that, I was thrown in a situation where I had no time to actually assess or prepare for what was in store for me on this trip.

Armed with the “tour kit” provided by Journeys, The Mummy AND The Mummy Returns DVDs, and inquiring from TripAdvisor, The HOLYLAND tour, as I perused our itinerary, consists of: Egypt, Israel and Jordan. Concentrating mainly in Israel since most of the religious events and places are in Israel (since this is in fact a pilgrimage). The Egypt part is much more secular with the exception of the Abou Serga or the church where the Holy Family stayed when they escaped from King Herod. And then, there was Jordan, which I didn’t know much about- at first. The kit even included a list of the people on the trip with all their birthdays and addresses, and things to remember (Without my name since I was a last minute addition). As I was interpreting the information in my mind, without knowing it, slowly, the curious part of me gave way, I found myself wondering. Suddenly, I was officially excited. J

FLYING OUT at 12MN, THE SWINE FLU and the HAYDEN KHO-KATRINA HALILI SEX SCANDAL
So there I was with my Kuya’s family, at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport, holding our Emirates tickets, in our own queue line reading: JOURNEYS OF FAITH on the flashboard, trying desperately to ward off sleep as we checked in before 12MN on May 29, 2009. I took a quick survey of the group I was spending 2 weeks of my life with on a tour bus: a lot of over-50s, a lot of nervous smiles hidden in surgical masks (courtesy of the Swine Flu), and a lot of quiet looks.  We were also introduced to our Chaplain for the tour: Bishop Raul Martirez of Christ The King Parish, who immediately kept the people at ease with his easy smile and warm presence. Luigi from Journeys assisted us while giving out our own name tags and giving out last minute instructions for our connecting Manila-Dubai-Cairo (MNL-DXB-CAI) flight. As soon as we finished with checking-in, and filled out our forms in immigration, we all dispersed.

Maybe it was the on-set of the Swine Flu that made everyone jumpy or the fact that we were leaving at 12MN that everyone was a bit less friendly than the usual. The subject of the Hayden Kho-Katrina Halili Sex Scandal was not even breached just to make small talk. It was a risky time to travel and we were right in the middle of it.

Getting much needed shut eye before we fly for Egypt

Checking-In at our very own Journeys counter.  

entertaining ourselves while waiting to be boarded at the NAIA

Travelling during the Swine Flu

Brushing up on the sites 
MNL-DXB
We boarded our plane and as soon as we hit our seats, we tried to get as much shut-eye as we can. Most of the cabin was darkened for everyone to sleep. But the Emirates entertainment system made it impossible to do so. Each seat had our own set of movies which we can watch at our own time, games and a music system which we can control on our touch screen. We can even play or talk with someone via our seat phone with someone from another seat. Emirates was living up to the Best Airline monicker. I was wide awake until we touched down in Dubai. I was excited and distracted at the same time. I had too much adrenaline and too little sleep. Good luck when we touchdown Cairo!

Boarding our Emirates flight

trying out the Emirates flight entertainment system



Dubai International Airport
Dubai Airport blew me away. Aside from the fact that they had a new international airport and that they had the biggest McDonald’s chicken imaginable, the Duty-Free shops have the lowest rates in the world (that information came from my former land lady who was a flight attendant for almost 20 years). It was such a treat to be distracted with so many things to see, to eat, to shop. We were not bored from the 6-hour wait for our connecting flight to Cairo.


video taken from the plane's live in-flight video camera 

Welcome to Dubai!!

Busy busy airport

doing a little shopping during our 6-hour wait for the connecting flight


the airport has commercial brands like  McDonald's, Haagen Dazs (to name a few) to their more local Tosca cafes to sate hungry travelers.


ready with our walking shoes!


the new Dubai International Airport

fooling around while waiting to be boarded for our flight to Cairo. We were wondering what that noise was.

waiting for our flight DXB-CAI flight


DXB-CAI, Medames What?
We boarded the plane and for some reason, I found myself sleepy. I finally had some shut-eye.

When I opened my eyes, it was already morning and the whole plane was lit up by the morning sun. I was greeted by the Flight Attendant who asked me what I wanted for breakfast. Coming out from sleep didn’t mess with my appetite. It was my first middle-eastern meal – and so, I went for the most exotic sounding meal on the menu: “ Foul medames with hommous”. I had no idea what medames were but I love hommous so when I finally tore off the silver foil off my tray, I was instantly curious. I hope it tastes better than it looks! I was crossing my fingers.

Yes, it was good. J I happily ate all of it up!

We were then informed that we will be approaching Cairo in a couple of minutes.

approaching Cairo and our first middle eastern meal


asking my co-passenger to take a video of the Suez Canal from the window


Touchdown and Our Confusing Health Check
As our plane touched down Cairo, I can’t help but feel excited. The prospect of living out my The Mummy Fantasy started flashing through my head – minus the freaky mummy escapades.

The Cairo Airport reminded me of the Old Ninoy Aquino Airport – a little bit outdated but still very busy. My excitement shortly turned to confusion as we got to the point where everyone was crowding through inspection as Swine Flu was deadly. It got a little rowdy when two other planes arrived too. Since some of the Health Officers didn't speak English, It was like charades with the main actor being the Health Officers trying to get everyone cleared by explaining to us what we were supposed to do by acting out in front of us: walk under the thermal scan, then move to the side to check if you’re good to go.


the confusion at the check point.  

What now?

Welcome to EGYPT, FINALLY!!!
After the confusion with the Health officers, gone through the long line of immigration and got our bags from the conveyor, I can’t believe it, I’m finally here!

WELCOME TO EGYPT!!

travel stickers just for this flight MNL-DXB-CAIRO
just after baggage claim, waiting for the rest of our group to finish with immigration

excited!!!!

we have finally arrived!


end of Part I

--------------------

WATCH OUT FOR:

THE UNHOLY IN THE HOLYLAND SERIES:

EGYPT
Unfogetable Moments that Happened in the Land of King Tut
Part II


Soon.


4 Comments


Wow! I just came back from a trip to the Holly Land with my wife and kids- We had a great time! The sites, view, and the people..Its was a trip worth taking :)


Incredible ! That seems to be wonderful place. I have never been there....let me make plan. I will go there very soon. Did you ever visit Israel ?? Its quite beautiful place. I was there last year and enjoyed lot.


Dear Holyland Tour: I feel very lucky to be able to go to the Holyland. The opportunity came at the right time when I needed it the most. It was such an enlightening trip. - Ysabs


Dear Hostel in Jerusalem:
I wish I stayed in Dubai to see the sights but I was pressed for time because of studies. Yes, I have been to Israel. It was a revelation. :) - Ysabs

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright © 2013 Travel with the WANDER GIRLS All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive | Blogger Templates.