TWO BUDGET HOTELS IN MACAU YOU COULD CONSIDER

Posted by Ysabs on 7:14 PM in , , , , ,


HOTEL KO WAH & HOTEL MAN VA
2 BUDGET HOTELS IN MACAU YOU SHOULD CONSIDER:
Rua Felicidade, Macau City, Macau
By: Ysabs Villaflor

My first time in Macau was in November 2010. Like many lonesome travelers, I was faced with a little dilemma: How do you stretch your money’s worth without breaking? When we travel, a big bulk of the expenses goes to lodging and probably on the shopping, but most of the time, the hotels get a big part of it all.

So what my friend and I did before the trip was– we researched and we computed and we tabulated and we read blogs, reviews and feedbacks. What we first considered was – price and location. A very good decision is having a hotel right next to the spots so you didn’t have to spend for transport to and from these two places. And so, we booked our first hotel, Hotel Man Va, from the reviews. How we got to Hotel Ko Wah the next day, is another story all together: the good thing was, we didn’t book another day at Man Va since one of our travel buddies backed out. So, we had to look for another hotel for the next night since Man Va was already booked. Thank God, we had a back up hotel ready and a room was vacant right next door, Hotel Ko Wah.

Being in two budget hotels, we can’t help but compare the two.

MAN VA
KO WAH
Location:
Located in one of the oldest but most charming part of Macau (Rua Felicidade) and near the Historical Sites like Senado Square, Ruinas De Sao Paulo, Macau Museum, Rua Do Sto. Domingo, Macau Downtown

Rate:
HK$530 twin
No breakfast included
HK$500 Queen bed
HK$600 twin
No breakfast included
Pasteleria Koi Kei is infront of both hotels so, the perfect breakfast is freshly baked Portguese Egg Tart in the morning!
Reception:
The lobby has a waiting area with couches.
Only a desk and a small area to book your room. No couches. Straight to business
Elevator:
Can fit 6 people
Small, can fit only 4 people
Hall:
Narrow, only one person can walk through
Wider hall
Room:

A small room with a little bit of space to move. However, compared to Ko Wah, the room is definitely bigger and doesn’t seem very “claustrophobic”
Pretty compact, square room. Basic with the bathroom door and cabinets unusually highly elevated from the floor. This reason I cannot comprehend

Smell of the room:
A bit stuffy due to carpeted floor.
No carpets, hence, no stuffy smell.
Bed:
A little stiff for my taste but the comforters were great.
A little stiff for my taste, the comforters were thin.
View:
Our view is the building right in front of the hotel.
Our view is the wonderful Sofitel at Pointe 16.
Bathroom:
Compared to Ko Wah, I liked the bathroom at the Man Va better. It has separate shower area with curtains from the toilet area.
My biggest pet peeve is not having my own shower separated from the toilet area. I like a dry spot in my bathroom, so not having something separate it, is kind of an issue for me
Toiletries
They offer two big bottles of Shower Bath Gel and Shampoo.
Shampoo and Bath Gel in sachets
EXTRAS:
Has a dresser, storage area cabinet
It was Wi-Fi at certain times of the day for free but you would have to get the password from the reception desk.


Click HERE for more TIPS on MACAU.

Click HERE for PLACES to see in MACAU.

Click HERE for a SPECIAL Macau activity you SHOULD consider. :)

Click HERE for shopping finds in Hong Kong and Macau.

I hope this helps you in any way :)

28 Comments


Hi,

how did you book in Hotel Man Va and hotel Ko Wah?


please help us =)
emo_brat18@yahoo.com


Hi emo_brat18@yahoo.com!

We booked Hotel Man Va through www.macau.com :) as for Hotel Ko Wah, we walked-in :) If you chose Ko Wah, we suggest you inquire in the morning since most rooms will be free by then due to check-out time :) - ysabs


hi

thanks for the post, i am going with my child in November. May i ask, how do u feel about the area when u walk around at night. did you guy fly in or get in via ferry? if by ferry, how did u guys get to the hotel? thanks...


The first time I visited Macau, we arrived via plane. The area is pretty safe at night. We (my friend and I) arrived really late and we wandered off around the streets and Senado Square for a very late dinner. 2nd day, I wandered off by myself (http://wandergirls.blogspot.com/2010/12/macau-at-night.html) in macau. The second time I went to Macau was 20 days later. This time, via ferry from HK. The transport from ferry to hotel was convenient because some of the big hotels had provided buses for their clients for free. So we were able to move easily to our hotel (the Venetian). However, there are many taxis around the ferry area so I don't think there will be a problem. My advise for you is to have someone from the ferry or from the airport to translate in Chinese the name and address of your hotel on a piece of paper to give to your taxi driver to avoid the inconvenience of ending up in the wrong place :) for more tips: visit our link here:
http://wandergirls.blogspot.com/2010/12/wander-girls-top-10-tips-macau.html I hope this helps :)- ysabs


Does Man Va have towels or do i need to bring my own? TQ


Hello TQ,
Man Va hotel have towels provided already :) But you may want to bring your own tissue roll. The one they have is pretty thin. - ysabs


hi & good day, how could i reach hotel ko wah from the airport? Thank you.


Hello Anonymous!
I am sharing you another article we did on Macau. Please refer to number #2 in the link below :) The easiest way is Taxi or bus. Hope this helps :) - Ysabs

http://wandergirls.blogspot.com/2010/12/wander-girls-top-10-tips-macau.html


It was really nice to study your post. I collect some good points here. I would like to be appreciative you with the hard work you have made in skill this is great article.
cheap hotels in singapore


These kind of post are always inspiring and I prefer to read quality content so I happy to find many good point here in the post, writing is simply great, thank you for the post


May I know if I booked Double room and I want to add extra bed? Man Va Hotel charge for how much instead I book triple room? And I'll arrived Macau Airport at 8.30pm. Check-in will be late. Will they double charges?


hi. my brother and i are planning to give our mom a tour to hk-macau on her 69th bday this september. this will all be our first time there and i was wondering if you can suggest an itinerary as well as directions in going to tourist spots both hk-macau. we also plan to stay in Ko Wah if there's a room available.
hope you could help, thanks!


Rizo and Cheap Hotels in Singapore: thank you for the kind words. Very much appreciated. :)


Dear xSchYx:
hotels charge by the night so your late check-in will already be charged for one night. I am not sure as to how much Man Va will charge for a triple room but the difference with an extra bed and a third bed is sometimes not that big so I suggest you get the triple room instead. Unless you are very uncomfortable with sharing one bed, then go with the extra bed. For rates, you can check Macau.com or agoda.com for an estimate or inquiry :)


May 5, 2012 11:33 PM
Anonymous says:

hi. my brother and i are planning to give our mom a tour to hk-macau on her 69th bday this september. this will all be our first time there and i was wondering if you can suggest an itinerary as well as directions in going to tourist spots both hk-macau. we also plan to stay in Ko Wah if there's a room available.
hope you could help, thanks!

----

Dear Anonymous:

If you will be booked in Ko Wah, the major tourist spots are only minutes away by walking: Senado Square, Ruinas de Sao Paolo and the Cathedral. Rua Felicidade is also a prime spot and this is where Ko Wah located.

As for Tips and Itineraries, I hope the following articles by the Wandergirls can help you out:

1. Macau Must Sees:
http://wandergirls.blogspot.com/2010/12/macau-must-sees-on-our-own-or-by-tour.html
2. Macau At Night
http://wandergirls.blogspot.com/2010/12/macau-at-night.html
3. Macau Tips
http://wandergirls.blogspot.com/2010/12/wander-girls-top-10-tips-macau.html
4. Hong Kong Half Day Tour
http://wandergirls.blogspot.com/2010/12/december-28-2010-whats-included-in-hong.html


This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Pretty good post.I discovered your site by way of Google while looking for a similar subject, your web site came up, it appears good. I’ve added to favorites added to my bookmarks.
Budget Hotels


can i book a room that fits for us 6?


This comment has been removed by the author.

Dear Earnest:

For Hotel Man Va: I am not sure if they have a room for a big group of 6. They have rooms which fit for 3 though. So maybe the next best thing for you is 2 rooms for 3 people in each room. We passed by a room that had 2 beds (1 single and 1 double bed) in them while the cleaning lady was in.

For Hotel Koh Wah: That I am not sure. I haven't seen their big rooms.

Hope this helps.

WGysabs


Your blog is very useful. Im arranging our trip this Aug but im having a hard time booking at Hotel Man Va. How did you contact them or how can I contact them? tried visiting macau.com but Man Va Hotel isnt there anymore. Is it much of a risk if we look for a budget hotel there? or it would be better if we reserved one here in manila. Thank you :)


How can I go from the airport to the hotel location?

Cheapest price for Hotels in Macau China


hi. ill be visiting macao on oct. My arrival time is 10pm. is it still safe to travel by then? hotel koh wah is still open by that time?


Dear Anonymous May 9, 2013,
Sorry for the late reply: We got our reservations via www.macau.com. I am sorry to hear that it was taken out from that site. Not much of a risk since there are alot of budget hotels around but my tip is to do the looking early morning since most of the guests will be checking out and the night people at the hotel desk in these budget hotels seldom speak English. :) it would be more convenient to reserve here in manila to avoid any unnecessary miscommunications but if that's not possible, get ready for exercising your patience. :)

Ysabs


Dear Cheapest Price For:

You can go via taxi or bus :)

WG Ysabs


Dear Anonymous September 5, 2013;

It is safe to travel by then. My friend and I arrived in Macau late evening and we didn't have trouble looking for our hotel. We just had trouble looking for place to have dinner since most restaurants have already closed by then. :)

Hotel Ko Wah is still open by then but my advise is to try and book early if you can find a reservation. Usually, the front desk people at night don't know the bookings made in the morning. So if you're just walking in, be ready to exercise some patience.


WGYsabs


hi

your post is so useful, i try to search the hotel in macau.com and agoda.com but both also fully booked. do you have the hotel name card with email address so that i could direct contact them?


Interesting list of cheap hotels. My mission is to be able find the best and trusted offers in case I and my family travels local or abroad. :’) Especially that the holiday season is fast approaching! How I wish everything works well with our schedule and especially budget! Hehehe. I’m glad to have found your site. Keep sharing informative posts.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright © 2013 Travel with the WANDER GIRLS All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive | Blogger Templates.