Is It Really Smart to Buy a SMART BAG?

Posted by Ysabs on 1:22 PM in , ,

IS BUYING A SMARTBAG REALLY A SMART MOVE?
By Ysabel Villaflor

I am writing this as I am currently in the process of packing for my trip in 3 days. I am so impressed by this product that I decided to write about it before I leave.

I chanced upon this SMARTBAG from Lock and Lock in ACE Hardware store just last month when I was out in about in Manila with my sister’s family. I was instantly interested as I am a big fan of travelling with Ziploc bags and constantly finding out ways to travel smarter (click HERE for the WGs 5 Must Haves for Travelling - which includes my precious Ziplocs). I decided to give it a whirl and got the biggest size (400mmx500mm).

One pack contains 2 bags for Php299.75 (US$ 6.00)

the promise: reduce space in luggage by half!
When I got home, I ripped the packaging open and checked it out. One pack of SMART BAG contains two bags. While the smaller sizes gives you 3 bags. Unlike the ordinary Ziploc Bags that I use, the plastic on the SMART BAG is very durable and has double closure locks. It is a lot bigger than the largest size Ziploc bag, and I was already smiling to my ears. Before, I wished Ziploc had bigger sizes so I could fit more clothes in my luggage.

400mm x 500mm biggest size
the double zips

It wasn’t until last night that I really tested it out as I was packing for my trip.

The instructions read: Push it in, Lock it, then Roll. Seems easy enough.

the instructions

So I got some of the clothes I was bringing, stacked them up and positioned it in my check-in luggage just so I can see how much space I saved after I pushed the items in the bag.

the stack of clothes


what the stack would look like in my luggage 

stack reached up the top of the luggage


After I pushed the clothes in the bag, I locked it in with a little more difficulty since I had to adjust the clothes in the bag and let some air out before I zip it.

The magic came when I rolled the bag. With a little bit of effort (pressure is needed here), I rolled the bag and air went out from the one-way valve in the bag making the bag looked vacuum packed. I tried to make it as thin as I could and the result was amazing! I got my clothes to shrink by half the size!

size of the stack reduced to half.  You can see the pillows at the edge of my bed

vacuum packed

what it looks like in the luggage

as you can see, space is saved by half

I guess, it really is smart to buy one! If you always had a problem of not having enough space in your luggage when travelling, then this just might help you out and to save on space. :)

6 Comments


Comment via Facebook:

Heidi Mongalo-Madrono: "Oh wow thanks for the tip. I just need to find one here in Oz :)"

You're welcome Heidi! :) Hope it's available in Australia! :)- ysabs


Comment via Facebook:

Eduardo Santos II: " thanks for sharing ate yabs. now, i wanna get one for myself heh"

Get one, get one! Ed! :) - ysabs


Comment via Facebook:

Genevieve Aquino: " normal jumbo ziplock bags will also do the trick :) i always pack extra bags for other stuff you buy during your travel :) have fun!"

I love my Ziploc too Gen!! :) This one's just bigger and more durable :) You will like this one :) - ysabs


Comment via Facebook:

Lizelle Lira Buenafe: " hi ysabs!! have fun in the carribean..kami din going sa western carribean naman in april..do not forget your sunblock and wide rim hat!! i think your ate bernadette will supply those!"

ate lizelle!!! sayang, sana sabay nalang tayo!! Thanks for reminding me about sunblock.. have to buy one since i ran out last time hehehe I'm sure ate bernadette won't forget her BIG BIG hat and her other block the sun attires! hahaha - ysabs


Comment via Facebook:

Sumi YumEe: " hi ysabs thanks for the very helpful tip.. like you, i'm a big fan of ziplocs as well..i always have some handy in my bag.. i have to get this smart bag soon!! have fun in the sun!!! =)"

JM, did you have fun in Singapore?? Can't wait to hear your stories!! - ysabs


very helpful...thanks for this one...hehe

have fun and enjoy life! (",)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright © 2013 Travel with the WANDER GIRLS All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive | Blogger Templates.