BACOLOD Food Trip 2nd Time Around

Bacolod Food Trip 2nd Time Around
By Ysabel Villafor

I always welcome any opportunity to go back to a place with good food with good friends AND football. 

On my second time there, there were repeats to Calea, Manukan Country, Pendy's and Pala-pala... Just so we can reminisce the taste it left us last time we were there. (click HERE for 1st Bacolod FoodTrip)

It's not hard to love Bacolod... and to discover more places to eat is always a good thing.  Here are a couple of places I tried for the first time on the 2nd time around with my friends. :)

1. Felicia's Steak

As soon as I landed, my friends Che, XP and Ida asked what I would like to eat.. There's no better way than to erase the horrible experience of waiting for the longest time at the airport, hungry and annoyed than with good food.  I met them at the Felicia's that was situated in Ayala.  I got in so late that  my friends already had dinner and I didn't expect that the restaurant would still cater to me but fortunately, I got in just in time before last orders were sent to the kitchen.

I ordered the Filet Mignon (Medium Rare) with grilled Zucchini and a very tall glass of Coke while my friends entertained me with their stories that day over their dessert and coffee.

The verdict? I forgot about the 8 hour flight delay.  I was happy with the way the steak turned up. I was at first skeptical on the doneness but as soon as I cut into the meat, they got it just right. Not too crazy with the gravy though, I left it untouched as I finished my meal. I felt that a good steak doesn't need much going on to make it good. And Filet Mignon had bacon, so...it had two good things going on.


2. Bob's

We had decided to eat at Bob's the very next morning of my arrival. However, the first Bob's we went to didn't serve breakfast so we moved to the other Bob's which was near Colegio de San Agustin.. and we hit the jackpot.

I ordered the Blueberry Waffles. It was pretty uncommon in those areas..so I went for it. My friends ordered waffles too with the exception of XP who ordered Spanish omelette.  I was asked if I wanted the blueberries in my waffle or on the side.  Some people say that it isn't really a blueberry waffle if the blueberries weren't in the waffle so I kindly told the waiter to have it in the batter.

The verdict? I'm having that Blueberry Waffle next time I'm back.  It was golden, sweet, and crunchy. I loved it! At first, I had an issue with how runny the syrup was since I was more used to the thick kind, but the syrup worked well with the waffle and it didn't overwhelm the taste of things like thick syrups do.  It was the perfect place for breakfast.


Che, finally! 

My Blueberry Waffles. Ain't it pretty? Tastes awesome too. 
How was the Spanish Omelette, XP?
As you can see, my friend Ida has her hungry face on.


3. Fresh Start Organics
That night, we didn't want to go far and we wanted something light and different. One of our friends Jaron, suggested we try out this organic restaurant just near our hotel. 

We found the restaurant in a remote part of Robinsons, near the fountain and the parking lot. The ambiance was casual, and welcoming.  There was a wall full of products locally made and sourced in the Philippines. The prices too weren't as expensive as we thought (taking into consideration the comparison with some organic shops in Manila)

So while we enjoyed looking at the products, we ended up ordering a bottle of organic Bignay Island Wine and Nachos while waiting for our friend Ida. It wasn't the kind of Nachos you'd expect: it was goat cheese, vinegar and milled taro chips.  Nonetheless, the Nachos were interesting.  I got myself a Pumpkin Soup with Malunggay leaves (Moringa) because I still felt full from lunch. 

If want something different, light and healthy, then this is a nice option.

The Menu




The Nachos


My Pumpkin and Malunggay Soup. A little on the bland side but nothing a little salt and pepper could fix.

XP's Quesadilla.
Che's Adobo rice! 


Ida's Chicken Sandwich was yum!
The wall of products ranging from massage oils, balms, scents, organic rice, tea, honey, Sagada salt etc..



Veggies fresh from Bacolod farms.  On the upper rack you can see Bogsbrew - a locally brewed beer from Bacolod.
4. MOOON Cafe
This Cafe is all around Cebu but I never got the chance to try it.  So when we didn't know where to eat that particular day, Mooon Cafe presented itself to us as we were walking around. Why not?  It served Mexican food... and my friends and I love Mexican food!

The ambiance was casual and warm.  I got the Tostadas, XP got the Chicken with Cheese while Ida and Jaron got the ribs.  I don't mind trying the other things from the menu though.

My Tostadas were awesome, but it was difficult to eat without destroying the vessel (the taco shell) or that some parts of it ended up on my nose. But, I'd still give this place a go next time I'm around.




My Tostadas! My dilemma. 

XP's Chicken with cheese. 

Ribs were good according to my two friends


5.  Cafe 21
Last time we were in Bacolod, Ida, Che and I were able to try out 21 on Lacson. It was an awesome experience. When I found out that 21 had a cafe in our hotel (we stayed at Go Hotels-- more on that in my next article), we just had to try it out. (And we didn't have a choice, it was the only thing open at 6am)

Ida and I had a quiet breakfast of toast, bacon and eggs. Not exactly mind-blowing but was good enough for a round two if I had a next day in the hotel.






6. Calea

You haven't been to Bacolod if you haven't tried Calea. And on my 6th (7th? or 8th?) I have yet to fall out of love with this place.  There was always something new to try with your favorites (Mud Pie is my favorite). This time around, I tried the following -- and none disappoint!

They call this "Island Float" but this is really Canonigo - Meringue with Custard and Caramelized Sugar on top. My favorite for that trip.

My friend tried out the Mango Torte and it was good too!

A friend of mine, Ceres, told me to try the Key Lime Pie but unfortunately, they didn't haven't it. The closest one was this Lemon Pie with Custard and Marshmallow top. I love it!

7. Green Tree Gelato
It was one heck of a hot night when we decided to try out this gelato shop. It seemed like the right decision at that time.  And couldn't go wrong with the free wifi too. :) 


Espresso Gelato with chocolate bits



END NOTE:

I can't wait for my next trip to Bacolod! 
So many yet to try.
Definitely in 2014!


Thank you to:
Che Billones
Christian "XP" Cruz
Ida Torres
Jaron Genota
Cedelf Tupas
Ceres Lina



1 Comments


Good reviews. Hehe nakakagutom tuloy. Haha happy new year!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright © 2013 Travel with the WANDER GIRLS All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive | Blogger Templates.