MACAU AT NIGHT

Posted by Ysabs on 11:38 AM in , , , , , , , ,
MACAU at NIGHT

By: Ysabs Villaflor



European Charm on Chinese Soil

Last November 26, 2010, my friend Cres and I took the 7PM Cebu Pacific flight to Macau. After checking in our hotel, we found ourselves in the middle of Senado Square looking for a place to eat - At 11PM. At this point, we had ZERO patacas since we weren’t able to exchange $ to MOPs (Macau Patacas) and so we had to find a place that was still open AND accepts credit cards. Since most of the stores were already closed and we really didn't have much of a choice, we ended up eating at Starbucks Senado Square. We didn't care at that point- we were starving!

We settled ourselves at a table on the outside, me cupping my hot Portugese Sausage Puff and Cres with her own little dinner. Finally, FOOD! We watched Senado Square close that night. It was quiet, cool and breezy. Our first night started on the right note- even though on a very light stomach. We went back to the hotel on a much happier skippy beat.

The next morning, we decided to do the tour route and visit the historic sites which, were all conveniently near Senado Square. Lo, and behold, we didn’t expect that the spacious square that night to be so densely populated in the morning! All throughout the day, there wasn’t a time that neither Cres nor I didn’t say sorry for being in the way of someone’s camera shot or excusing ourselves from passing by between people. Yes, it was like braving through rush hour on the LRT with matching BOX-OUT movements.
Battling it out for a shot in front of the Ruinas de Sao Paolo

Our attempt to get a shot with the Ruinas: FAIL!!

exhausted after walking through the crowd going to the Ruinas

At the end of the day, it was like we battled for more than we bargained for. Cres was beat and immediately slept soundly in our room. While I was obliviously tinkered with the remote control, I remembered the night before when we were looking for a place to eat, and Senado was deserted. After a few minutes of rest and contemplating if I were crazy or not, I quickly made up my mind and decided to go out AGAIN that night just to see it for myself at 9:30pm.

True enough, it was better at night than during the day. Unlike most places where the historical sites are locked up after closing or are enclosed within a walled gate, Macau’s historical sites have no such thing. In fact, most of the sites are lit up with lights for most of the duration of the night and can be enjoyed even if there were some enclosures. If I stayed that night in my hotel room, I would probably miss out on something great. There were no busy people knocking any part of your body, I didn’t have to mind people behind me if I was getting in their shot, I was able to buy a couple of local desserts without waiting in line, and I can take my sweet time actually enjoying the view without someone reminding me that there are OTHER people around also wanting the same feeling.

Yes, Macau was definitely A LOT different at night than in the morning! I would definitely recommend this activity to anyone who will visit this country.

the start of my night tour
graffiti on Rua Felicidade on the way to Senado Square

wondering what people at the end are doing? Filming a movie. Yup, Senado Square turned into a movie set at night.


Sto. Domingo Church, all lit up at night


The hall in Sto. Domingo Church.


What a difference! Just this morning, this area in front of the Rua de Sao Paolo was teeming with tourists fighting it out to get a shot of the famous facade.


Me and the Ruinas. My shot with no one else :)
Just me and the Ruins.. this time! Thanks to the guy who took this !


the road going back from the Ruinas


A doggy play date in front of the Ruinas.
dogs dogs dogs and more dogs coming!


cobbled stones

Just this morning, I would've lined up for more than 20 minutes just to get one of these!











Rua Felicidade, all mine just for the night. :)



Photos by: Ysabs Villaflor


0 Comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright © 2013 Travel with the WANDER GIRLS All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive | Blogger Templates.