BEER TRIPPIN' in 2011

Posted by Ysabs on 1:17 AM in , , , ,

BEER-TRIPPIN’ IN 2011
By Ysabel Villaflor

Every time I go to a foreign country, I see to it that I try to sample their local beer. It’s the best way to find out how the locals celebrate since a party is nothing without some sort of alcohol.

Last 2011 proved to be one heck of a beer-tripping year when I was able to travel to some of the tropical and colorful Caribbean countries (which consist of Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Dominica, Grenada, Bonaire, and Aruba), the emerging Ho Chi Minh in Vietnam, and the cosmopolitan Hong Kong for Christmas. Which also meant, I had a sample of their local and not so local brews.

Here are the beers that I tasted this year J

JAPAN - Narita Airport

Our stop over on the way to LA in Narita International Airport gave an opportunity to try our Asahi Beer which I haven't tasted before.

CARRIBEAN - Puerto Rico
Medalla Light Beer, Puerto Rico's own local brew.
Presidente Beer isn't a Puerto Rican Beer, but a Dominican Republic Beer

Our drink of choice when we started our cruise around the Caribbean - Dos Equis, a Mexican Beer. Wasn't able to take a picture of the other beer we often drank on board, Becks - a German Beer.

Drinking our Presidentes at the La Concha Beachfront Resort in Puerto Rico

Drinking our Medallas during lunch at Lonestar Restaurant, Puerto Rico.
Oh, I did dig this one up of Aman with his Becks Beer.

CARRIBEAN – Virgin Islands

My brother got me some Carib Lager to share while waiting on the others with their shopping. Went well with our Baby Back Ribs! Carib Beer is sold all through out the Caribbean and dubbed as " The Caribbean Beer ".


I treated my brother-in-law with St. John Brewers Tropical Fruit Ales. I got the Tropical Mango while he got the Island Hoppin.

While we might look crazy in this picture, I'd have to be honest and say that this was my least favorite of all the beers I tasted during this trip. It's too strong for my preference and the mango taste reminds me of medicine for some odd reason. hehe

CARRIBEAN – Dominica Republic
Me and my Kubuli Beer, right in front of our Caribbean home -the Caribbean Princess. :)

Another round of Kubuli before going back to the ship for early lunch. We can't bring alcohol in the ship.

Yet, another round of Kubuli Beer after we trekked going around Dominica National Park and Hot Springs late in the afternoon.

CARRIBEAN - Bonaire


Polar Beer is actually a Venezuelan Beer.

For once, I wasn't carded. YES! I bought a bucket of Polars to bring to the beach in Bonaire.


Enjoying the beer right on the beach with my cousins Arnel and Robere.
CARRIBEAN - Aruba
Balashi Beer, Aruba's Finest. I loved this beer so much I got myself a Balashi Shirt as a souvenir.

CARIBBEAN
While I loved all the beers I tried, what the Caribbean is actually known for is White Rum. Since we couldn't bring in any alcohol on board the ship, we got a bit more -- let's say, creative. It made up for a lot of happy memories while on board the ship.





VIETNAM – Ho Chi Minh
Too Bad wasn't able to taste Saigon Beer. But it will be first on the list when I come back to Vietnam, which I hope will be soon :)


HONG KONG - Kowloon
Tsing Tao, always a favorite. Even on the nth time in HK! :)


Only pic of Hite Beer that I tasted off my brother's. Hite Beer is Korean.
Photo Courtesy of Kreme Seen :)
----------

2011 has been an amazing year for discovering new beers.  
I hope you find your own "thing" when visiting a foreign land. It adds to the experience :)
More Beer Adventures in 2012!

Much love, Ysabs






1 Comments


nice post maam and good concept! hehe
city-labeled beers is my next post also...hehe try saigon beer next time but it's not that good (in my own opinion)...red horse pa rin! haha!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright © 2013 Travel with the WANDER GIRLS All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive | Blogger Templates.